• Kristina Bergsten

How do I know if I have a warrant?

It is not easy to know when you have a warrant; fortunately, there are ways to find out and ways to deal with the warrant without ever having to step foot in a courtroom or turn yourself in to the police.

If you live in Denver, simply click on this link: and enter the requested information (name and birth date) and the website will run a search and return any outstanding warrant results for that name and birth date. 

Once you click on the case number link, it will take you to the warrant and list the warrant history as it relates to the case the warrant stems from. You may be able to cancel your warrant. If it is possible to pay your warrant online and have it canceled, there will be a "cancel warrant" button at the top of the screen. Once you cancel your warrant, you will get a new court date. 

If you live outside of Denver County, you can run a Google search for your county and the words "warrant search." Be advised, not all counties have a public access website that shows warrants. For example, Arapahoe County requires you to call the District Court at 303-649-6355 to run a warrant search. Boulder County requires you to call the Boulder County Jail at 303-441-4650 to run a warrant search. El Paso County wants you to call the Court's Warrants Office at 303-212-0221.

No matter where you live, it is possible to check to see whether or not you have a warrant in that county and avoid a warrant turning into incarceration or harsher sentencing penalties on the main charge. It is important to clear up warrants as soon as possible so time, energy, and money can be devoted to defending the main charge.